Sunday, March 10, 2024

Protip: Write your email in a separate text editor then copy it into Gmail

Today I fucked up by writing an email and accidentally pressing ctrl+enter (meant to type shift+enter) and then I looked around for the Undo Send button and couldn't find it so I clicked on my Sent box and right-clicked on my email there and couldn't see an Undo Send option either. In the end I could not undo the accidental send.

So, 3 lessons learned:

  1. Write your emails in a separate text editor, then copy-paste it into your browser email editor once you're done.
  2. Disable the Gmail keyboard shortcuts in the Gmail settings.
  3. Remember that the Undo Send button is in the tiny little popup on the bottom left hand side of the screen. If you click on anything in Gmail then the popup goes away and you can't undo your send anymore.

Tbh I think the Undo Send should be in the right-click menu in the Sent box. It's really bugging me - I think this is a serious usability issue. Also the Undo Send time period should be customizable up to 1 minute so that I have time to go to my Sent box and manually Unsend the email.

But anyway, writing your email in an external text editor is foolproof and will work regardless of your email provider and completely mitigates all of the above mentioned problems, so as long as you do that you don't need to worry about any of what I just said.

No comments:

Post a Comment