Saturday, March 2, 2024

Intel NUC is not compatible with SSK SD300

So I tried 3 USB drives, a SSK SD300, a Sandisk Extreme 32GB, and a Kanguru SS3 and I wrote the exact same ISO image (Debian 12.5) on each USB stick using the exact same method (dd). Then I plugged each USB into the Intel NUC and saw that the BIOS would only recognize the Sandisk Extreme and the Kanguru SS3 but not the SSK SD300.

This means that it's not the file system that's the issue here, since I formatted the Sandisk Extreme in the exact same way and it works.

I was going crazy thinking "where did I mess up??". I switched from cp to dd thinking that was the problem but no. 

Tried different USB ports, didn't make a difference.

I checked and verified that the SSK SD300 boots up perfectly fine on my desktop PC.

So it really seems like the Intel NUC just doesn't like the SSK SD300 for some reason.

UPDATE: The Kingston DataTraveler Max doesn't work with my NUC either. What these two drives have in common is that they're both USB 3.2. Maybe the NUC BIOS can't recognize USB 3.2 drives.

UPDATE: I tried connecting the SD300 via USB-A to USB-C adaptor, didn't work.

I also tried connecting it via a USB 3.0 hub, also didn't work. 

UPDATE: The Samsung BAR USB works (that one is a USB 3.1 which supports my hypothesis that the problem is with USB 3.2)

No comments:

Post a Comment