Monday, August 31, 2026

Please stop recommending the Fractal Design Define PC cases (Define R5, Define 7 XL, etc)

I fell for the Reddit meme and bought the Define R5 and Define 7 XL cases and now I deeply regret it.

Leaving aside the obviously minor issues, such as:

  • Skyward facing USB ports, so dust just falls right in. No dust protector.
  • Define 7 XL has fairly weak magnets holding the side panels, no screws. This means your SATA power cables can easily push open the side panels from the inside.
  • No HDD LEDs.
I recently bought a 3x3.5 inch SATA backplane which uses 2x5.25 inch bays. 

The define R5 and Define 7 XL both have 2x5.25 inch bays. Yet the 2x5.25 bay SATA backplane does not fit into the Define R5, at all (the 1x5.25 bay version fits just fine). The 2x5.25 bay backplane also cannot be installed into the Define 7 XL because the Define 7 XL has no 5.25 bay cage pre-installed at all. The Define 7 XL accessories kit comes with an extremely shortened 2x5.25 bay cage (so it's not even a full length cage), and the 2x5.25 bay SATA backplane cannot even fit into that cage at all. 

It is worth noting that the 2x5.25 bay SATA backplane DOES FIT very nicely into my HP Z240, which is a much smaller tower than the Define R5 and Define 7 XL. But it is useless, because the HP Z240 has only 4 SATA ports, one of which is occupied by the CD drive, so why would you put a 3x3.5 inch SATA backplane into a PC that can only take 3 SATA drives? The main thing is that the 3.5 inch backplane didn't even have vibration dampers, so I can't even put HDDs into it really, and I really want to put a 3.5 inch HDD in, so I'd have to put that HDD into the actual tower and not in the backplane, which means the backplane can really only take two drives, which makes it completely pointless and cost-ineffective since I can get two 1x3.5 inch for cheaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment